≡ Menu

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Save Lives~Get Yours Today!

While we consider ourselves fairly seasoned travelers, we never once thought that packing a carbon monoxide detector was an essential and life-saving item in our travel preparedness until tragedy struck and my husband nearly lost his life to CO poisoning at a “boutique hotel” in Central Mexico.

After dropping our twins off at their much-anticipated 6th grade camp in a rural community outside of Guadalajara, Frank and I set out to enjoy our weekend together, knowing that our children would be in good hands in the company of their classmates and counselors.

But instead of enjoying a romantic couples-only weekend, we spent it at the Red Cross, an ER and a Hyperbaric Chamber Facility fighting for Frank’s life.

How could such a thing happen? 

Do mistakes and bad things just happen? Absolutely.

But in this case, the hotel management had haphazardly jerry-rigged a below eye level, malfunctioning water heater to the room we had been bumped to due to overbooking on a holiday weekend.

After several hours of working next to the open window—not knowing that just on the other side of it was a yellow-flamed carbon monoxide-leaking heater—Frank was overcome by severe visual disturbances, weakness, confusion, headache, difficulty speaking and vomiting.

Retired Firefighter Fighting for His Life

Retired Firefighter Fighting for His Life

Confirmation by the hotel staff that two carbon monoxide leaks had been found in this water heater, together with all of Frank’s symptoms, clearly pointed to CO poisoning.

All medical diagnoses and treatment further confirmed that it was indeed carbon monoxide poisoning that the installation of a simple and affordable CO detector could have prevented.

Hospital Diagnosis of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Hospital Diagnosis of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Only time away from the CO gas, immediate medical intervention and continuous high-saturation oxygen therapy saved his life. Prayers, support and good thoughts from family and friends didn’t hurt either. 

Hyperbaric Chamber~One of Two 80-Minute Treatments

Hyperbaric Chamber~One of Two 80-Minute Treatments

As a result of this terrifying, near-death experience, we now ALWAYS travel with carbon monoxide detectors and we can’t emphasize enough the importance for others to do so too.

After much research, we decided on the Kidde Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarms with Digital Display for both travel and home use.

Something so simple and so affordable can save your and your family’s lives in the event of a carbon monoxide leak. 

*Carbon monoxide is silent, odorless and tasteless*

CO poisoning signs to be aware of

CO poisoning signs to be aware of

I hope this information is useful to you.

In peace, happiness, safety & health,

~Los O’Gradys in Mexico

If you would like to know more about our immigrated lives in Mexico:

1. SUBSCRIBE & STAY UP-TO-DATE WITH OUR ADVENTURES:

2. JOIN US ON FACEBOOK:

3. EMAIL

[email protected]

 

*Disclosure: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn commissions by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

 

 

 

Share & Follow:
RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Google+
Google+
https://www.losogradysinmexico.com/carbon-monoxide-detectors-save-lives-get-yours-today/
Instagram
Pinterest
Pinterest
{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment

Translate »