≡ Menu

Carbon Monoxide~The Silent Killer!

Carbon Monoxide~The Silent Killer!

While we consider ourselves fairly seasoned travelers, we never once thought that packing a carbon monoxide detector would be an essential and life-saving item in our travel preparedness until tragedy struck and my retired firefighter husband was poisoned by carbon monoxide at a “boutique hotel” in Lake Chapala, Mexico.

After dropping our twins off at their much-anticipated 6th grade camp in a rural community outside of Guadalajara, Frank and I set out to enjoy our weekend together, knowing that our children would be in good hands in the company of their classmates and camp counselors.

But instead of enjoying our weekend sightseeing and relaxing together, we spent it fighting for Frank’s life at the Red Cross in Lake Chapala and an Emergency Room and Hyperbaric Chamber Facility in Guadalajara.

Carbon Monoxide~The Silent Killer!

Continuous High-Dose Oxygen Therapy in Hospital While We Waited for Hyperbaric Chamber Facility to Open in Morning

How could such a thing happen

Do mistakes and bad things just happen? Absolutely.

So does gross negligence.

After several hours of working next to the open window in the Barroca Room at Hotel Villa San Francisco, my husband Frank, upon standing up, was overcome by severe visual disturbances, full-body weakness, confusion, headache, difficulty speaking, pallidness and vomiting.

Carbon Monoxide~The Silent Killer!

Fighting for His Life & Saying My Prayers

Two Carbon Monoxide Leaks Found in Hotel Hot Water Heater

Confirmation by the hotel staff that in fact two carbon monoxide leaks had been found in the hot water heater, together with all of Frank’s symptoms, diagnostics and treatment, verified that it was carbon monoxide poisoning that had my husband fighting for his life—something that the simple installation of a CO detector would have prevented, not to mention the proper checks and maintenance of the hot water heater by the hotel management and owners themselves.

Only removal from the carbon monoxide and immediate medical intervention with continuous high-saturation oxygen therapy would save Frank’s life. Mega prayers and support from family and friends played their huge part as well. 

Carbon Monoxide~The Silent Killer!

Hyperbaric Chamber Treatments

As a result of this terrifying, near-death experience, we now ALWAYS travel with carbon monoxide detectors in addition to having them in our home in each of the bedrooms and next to any gas appliances.

We can’t emphasize enough the importance for others to also equip themselves with carbon monoxide detectors for both home and travel safety.

Please, protect yourself and your loved ones with a CO alarm. Or several, depending on the size of your home and travel accommodations.

If one is suddenly overcome with nausea, headache, vision disturbances, confusion and other mind-boggling symptoms, best to seriously consider a CO exposure and get OUT of the room/building until authorities can test for its safety. Of course if you have your own monitorS, that is a prudent measure of self-protection without needing to rely solely on the establishment or the proper authorities.

Something so simple and so affordable can save your and your loved one’s lives in the event of a carbon monoxide leak. 

Buy yours today:

*Carbon monoxide is silent, odorless and tasteless*

Carbon Monoxide~The Silent Killer!

I hope this information saves just one life. Please share it with your loved ones.

~Katie O’Grady

New York Couple Dies of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The Sharp Family

 SUBSCRIBE & STAY UP-TO-DATE WITH OUR ADVENTURES:

 JOIN US ON FACEBOOK:

3. EMAIL

[email protected]

#advocate #affiliate #carbonmonoxideawareness #savealife #inform #passiton

*Disclaimer: this article contains affiliate links for products we use. The price is the same whether you use our affiliate link or not. We only recommend products we have spent our own money on and can stand by the value of.

 

 

 

Please follow and like us:

About the author: Internationally-Acclaimed Author & Relocation Coach Katie O’Grady is a 4th generation San Diegan who together with her retired Firefighter hubby and their now 15-year-old twins immigrated to Mexico in 2012. Los O’Gradys in Mexico is InterNations Top Expat Mexico Blog and has been featured on various distinguished platforms including Elephant Journal, Yucatan Times, and Huffington Post. Seven years into their Mexico adventure, Katie and her family continue to embrace their reinvented, reinspired lives where tacos and fun are part of their daily round! If you are interested in learning about raising bilingual, bicultural, cross-border children and creating a life of design, feel free to contact Katie at [email protected] and on the following platforms: Facebook Instagram Pinterest

{ 1 comment… add one }
  • Sherri Chessen September 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

    Katie, I was so surprised and happy to see you on my FB. Somehow, by someone, a new FB with no picture was created in my name taking with it most of my friends. Try as I may, I’ve been unsuccessful in removing it….blah, blah, blah.

    More important is that you are going public with this near-miss for Frank and helping others…..I applaud you, Katie.
    Carbon Monoxide poisoning….so easily detected with the right equipment and such a silent killer otherwise.

    So happy that you are all well and that you’re choosing to help others not experience the trauma your family went through.

    Love you all,
    Shoo

Leave a Comment

error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

Share
Pin
Tweet